One of the sons of the Hon. Nimbofa Ayawe, the Bayelsa State Chairman of Board of Internal Revenue, was on Saturday burnt to death in an early morning fire that razed down their home along Okutukutu area of Yenagoa Local Government Area of the State.
Ayawe’s son was killed in the fire alongside his fiancee whose identity remained unknown.
Eyewitnesses told leadership that the fire,which was believed to have started from an electrical spark at about 4am, quickly spread through the building without quick escape to the victims.
It was gathered that two other occupants of the affected apartment were able to jump through the window while Ayawe’s son and his girlfriend were unlucky.
Hon. Nimbofa Ayawe, who is also the owner of a Petrol Filling station in the state capital was not at home at the time of the incident.
An eyewitness, identified as John,told leadership that attempts by residents to assist failed as the ball of fire was stronger. He also reported that the men of the Fire Service arrived late to the scene.
“Most sympathisers at the scene were worried and battled to stop the fire from spreading to the Filling station which is few steps from the razed building.”
The corpses of Ayawe’s son and his fiancee have been taken to the morgue of the Federal Medical Centre, in Yenagoa.